[mou] Harlequin Duck, Barrow's Goldeneye, Prescott, WI

Bruce Fall bafall at umn.edu
Sun Dec 16 17:12:17 CST 2007

This morning (Sun. 16 Dec.) about 11:30 a.m. Susan Fall and I found
an adult male Harlequin Duck in the Mississippi River at Prescott
WI., specifically out from the public boat launch and parking area
just N of the marina. We watched it swim from the WI side to the MN
side near shore (Dakota Co.), and eventually it moved downriver.
Later, others refound it farther N near the hwy 10 bridge and
railroad trestle in town (in both WI and Washington Co., MN), where
it was actively diving.

Later (12:30 p.m.) we found an adult male Barrow's Goldeneye in a
large (400) flock of Common Goldeneyes, viewed from the overlook at
Freedom Park E of the marina in Prescott. While we watched (through
1:15) the BAGO remained in WI water (by less than 150 m), but there
was another large goldeneye flock seen from this vantage that was in
MN, and these ducks move around a lot while feeding.

Bruce A. Fall
Minneapolis