[mou] Long-tailed Jaeger update

Eckert K R eckertkr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 22:42:18 EDT 2007

The Long-tailed Jaeger just outside of Agassiz NWR was seen by several
observers at various times throughout the day today, 30 August. On
previous days, the most reliable times had apparently been at 7:30 am
and 6:00 pm, but today I'm aware of it also being seen at 11:00 am,
noon, 2:00 pm, continually from 4:45 to 6:15 pm (when I was there), and
finally 7:00-7:30 pm. Mark Junghans reported he was there at this
latter time when a vehicle went by and flushed the jaeger, which first
circled to the west and then turned and flew NE and out of sight
(perhaps to Farmes Pool in Agassiz NWR). However, there is no reason to
think it will not return tomorrow.

The jaeger is an adult with fully grown and intact central rectrices,
among other field marks, and several photos have been taken. The bird
is very tame, having allowed myself and others to approach with 20
feet. It is usually seen standing on the gravel road itself and seems
to be mostly feeding on grasshoppers, which it waddles/runs after on
the road. Why it favors this particular location which looks just like
hundreds of other gravel roads in the area bordered by agricultural
fields is unknown.

Kim Eckert