[mou] Wednesday banding and listserv questions

dan&erika danerika at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 13:47:18 EDT 2007

A good morning banding at the Canon River Wilderness area in Rice Co.:

3 Canada Warblers
2 Black-and-White Warblers
2 Nashville Warblers
2 Tennessee Warblers
1 Golden-winged Warbler
4 Ovenbirds
1 Northern Waterthrush

Photos (new species from the last couple of days):
Nashville Warbler
http://www.northern.edu/tallmand/dat/warblers/nawa.jpg
Tennessee Warbler
http://www.northern.edu/tallmand/dat/warblers/tewa33.jpg

I got kind of excited when I caught the Golden-winged Warbler.  This is a
species I did not catch many of in my old haunts in South Dakota.  Notice
the yellowish wash on this bird's breast--a Lawrence's Warbler???  It would
appear from Dunn and Garrett's "Warblers" (in the Peterson Series) that a
Lawrence's ought to be brighter still, even in the fall, and Golden-winged
Warblers can have a yellowish tinge to them.

http://www.northern.edu/tallmand/dat/misc/gwwa.jpg

I never know which listserv to use.  My impression is that MOU gets the
serious ornithology/very noteworthy records or questions (hence the
golden-winged photo). MN bird gets the general birding, not necessarily
noteworthy but interesting records.  Finally, our Ricebird listserv gets
general local records that others probably would be too interested in.  Am I
mistaken?  Or are the MOU and MN listservs redundant?

dan

--
Dan or Erika Tallman
http://danerika.googlepages.com/home
danerika at gmail.com

".... the best shod travel with wet feet"
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes ...."--Thoreau