[mou] Bairds SPs & others/Shorebird Question?

JELLISBIRD at aol.com JELLISBIRD at aol.com
Sun Aug 26 16:15:27 EDT 2007

    Had 26 Greater Prairie Chix (Saturday) feeding in a clover field before
dusk at Rothsay...only saw 4 Sandhills. Ashby Sewage Ponds had 5 Wilson's
Phalaropes and 1 Spotted, but 2300 Franklin's Gulls. Osakis SPonds had 1800 or so.
    Paused a while when I saw a group of shorebirds flash by as I went by a
cattle feedlot I've worked before in Douglas County. When I had stopped and
found them, the group of 9 Bairds Sandpipers were belly down in the depressions
made by tractor tires in a dried mud/dirt road. I assumed they were hiding as I
stopped quickly after I saw them flying. It seems they were dust bathing as
several of them eventually scurried over to a straw/manure pile to forage at
the edge of the pile where the mud was very oozy and ripe. I tried to make the
two juveniles into something rare but after I got the adults (alternate plumage
Baird's) the juveniles were easier.
    Anyway...I've never seen 9 Baird's at a time and never in a 9 for 9 group
(in Douglas County no less)...so..the question is whether other birders have
seen shorebirds (besides Killdeer) in cattle (or other livestock) feedlots. I
specifically wonder about lagoons, although the ones I saw yesterday were not
in a lagoon nor was there even any surface water present. Thanks in advance
for your thoughts or shared experiences.
        John Ellis-St. Paul
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>