[mou] MOU State Fair

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt at bestbuy.com
Fri Aug 24 10:28:25 EDT 2007

My wife Shirley and I did the night shift last night, and it was slow
and beautiful, with a nice flyover of 7 Nighthawks about 7:00 PM.

Best question of the day? What is the etymology of the phrase "to give
one the bird" - In obsolete theatrical usage (Partridge gives a date of
1883), "the bird" is defined as "a hissing of an actor," from the sound
made by geese. The obscene gesture that used in this meaning for this
may reflect similar sentiments of disapproval. (I had to look it up)

Best thing that happened? A 12 year old boy came running up to get help
identifying a warbler in the reeds by the moose - Common Yellow-throat,
probably an immature female. He was really excited. We are up to 14
species seen already!

Worst answer of the day? When asked why the ducks in this guy's
neighborhood were walking from pond to pond and wouldn't fly, I told him
about eclipse molt and how probably right now no ducks or geese would be
flying. Five minutes later, the guy ran back to point out a single
mallard flying overhead. It must have JUST got its wings back.....

Good Birding,.