[mou] Laughing Gull at Spirit Lake Iowa

Dean Riemer driemer at kwh.com
Sun Aug 19 14:44:01 EDT 2007

     Yesterday myself and two other North Dakota birder's, Ron Martin and Corey Ellingson drove to Spirit Lake in Iowa to see the Black-headed Gull. On our arrival at 7:00 am we began to look for the Black-headed Gull at the north end of the lake. A little over an hour of scaning the rocks at the north end of the lake with no success, we decided to check the beaches round the lake. Our first stop was at 8:30 am at Crandall's Beach on the northwest side of Spirit Lake where we found a 2nd winter Laughing Gull among a small group of Ring-billed Gulls. At 8:40 am the small flock of gulls flew northeast a few hundred yards up the beach to a private dock. Crandall's Beach is only about 600 yards from the minnesota border, and 300 yards or so southwest of the rocks (old footbridge) where the Black-headed Gull is seen. Maybe this bird will find it's way in to minnesota like the Black-headed Gull has. At 10:00 am with the help of Ed Thelen we found the Black-headed Gull on the northwest end of the lake. Directions to Crandall's Beach are, from the intersection Jackson County #2 and 240th Ave at the northwest end of Spirit Lake, go southwest about 600 yards. After passing the homes and cabins on your left you will see a small narrow sand beach, this is Crandall's Beach.

Good Birding
Dean Riemer
West Fargo ND

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, copy, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.