[mou] Little Blue Heron, Scott County

rdunlap at gac.edu rdunlap at gac.edu
Wed Aug 15 16:59:35 EDT 2007

This morning around 9:30 I had about a 10-second look at a flyover
adult Little Blue Heron at Fisher Lake in Scott County. Fisher Lake is
the large marshy area visible on the west side of the Hwy. 169 bridge
across the MN River in Shakopee. The lake is also part of the Wilkie
Unit of the MN Valley NWR. There is a large parking lot for the unit
just west of 169 on CR 101. From the parking lot, one has a broad view
of the marsh to the north, and one can also hike east on the paved
road past the gate. I was about half a mile down this road when the
heron flew overhead and landed somewhere in the middle of the marsh.
I'm guessing the chances of refinding this bird in that area are
pretty slim, but for the adventurous I guess the best bet would be to
scan the marsh from the parking lot and hope that it flies up, because
the vegetation in the middle is much too tall even to see any standing
water. But, herons and egrets are plentiful in this part of the MN
River valley, so it's very possible it could be found at another,
hopefully more accessible part of the refuge in the near future.

Bob Dunlap, Carver County