[mou] back to birding

linda birds at moosewoods.us
Tue Aug 14 20:17:55 EDT 2007

First, thanks to those who offered suggestions for birding spots between
here and Glacier Park. Not counting the nasty heat, the trip was
everything for which we'd hoped, with many lifers. Eventually I'll post
a list in a place appropriate for non-MN birds; if you're the person who
expressed advanced interest, write me, and I'll let you know what we saw
and where, in Glacier and elsewhere.

Meanwhile:

Crosby Farm Park, St. Paul, Tuesday:
Lakes were the lowest I've ever seen them. On the smaller one were only
a wood duck and a pair of cormorants; on the larger, a GB heron--lots of
mud, but no shorebirds. There was also no sign of yellow or common
yellowthroat warblers, though perhaps they were lying low in the midday
heat.
The most common bird seemed to be the house wren, which appeared to
outnumber even the many goldfinches and chickadees. However, there was
one bonanza spot just north of the covered bench, where paths converge.
In a leaning tree draped with grapevine there were, being scolded by
wrens: indigo bunting, redstart, Baltimore oriole, great-crested
flycatcher, white-breasted nuthatch, red-bellied woodpecker, downy
woodpecker, and hairy woodpecker. Nearby was a peewee, cardinals,
catbird, and robin. Whatever was hatching or growing in that spot, I
think I want it in my feeders!
The jewel-weed usually so abundant there has not prospered, except in
one place: it's growing profusely in a semi-circle around the beaver dam
that forms a tiny pond on the north edge of the big lake. Hopefully, the
passing hummingbirds will find it.

Ft. Snelling St. Park, Picnic Island, Wednesday:
egrets, GB herons, flickers, song sparrows, goldfinches, chickadees, WB
nuthatches, house wrens, downy and hairy woodpeckers, redstarts,
Baltimore orioles feeding young, and bountiful bluebirds feeding young
also. Most of these could be viewed right in the picnic area on the
inner side of the "island." There was also the usual sentinel red-tail
hawk on a lamppost at the entrance to the park.

Linda Whyte