[mou] religion, money, sex, and, now, birding?

Jim Ryan muchmoredoc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 16:19:03 EDT 2007

Thanks Sharon,
For putting politely what I was mulling over.  People need to just grow up
and get over the fact that like the bumper sticker that should make
millions will say:

DISAGREEMENT HAPPENS

Official lists and counts are that way for (usually) good reasons. Part of
science as well as cogent mundane communication is arriving upon commonly
agreed terminology and 'rules'.

Otherwise we blather on, thinking we are conveying information (because we
know what we mean) and others even may think that THEY know what you mean,
but if you don't clarify and define/limit your terms you are both blowing
smoke and wasting time.  Beleive me I've done it (in college discussing the
friendly topic of abortion) and nearly come to blows doing so.  I learned to
clarify terms and follow the conventional rules of communication to
understand and be understood.  Besides, you need to know the rules in order
to properly break the rules.

The extensive knowledge of the MOU records committee has deemed the Chukar a
non-countable species at this time.  IF you want to PROVE they have a
resident population in the state that survives/arrives from year to year so
we can count them, we await your data. Until then, they are not offcially
countable.  Certainly a scientist should understand that.

If you are comfortable making up your own rules, don't expect others on a
public forum to agree with you or trust your numbers or even possibly your
IDs. If your thinking doesn't stand up to public scrutiny, then don't be
surprised if you are called on it.
--
Sincerely,

Jim Ryan on St. Paul's Westside
651-308-0234 cell

Are You Russian or American??

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that
ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat this problem, NASA
scientists spent a decade and $12 billion developing a pen that writes in
zero gravity, upside-down, on almost any surface including glass and at
temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300 C. The Russians used a
pencil.

"A man who dares to waste an hour of time has not discovered the value of
life." - Charles Darwin