[mou] BBWoodpeckers/N.Goshawk/Eared, Horned Grebes/B.Scoters Cook Cnty

JELLISBIRD at aol.com JELLISBIRD at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 20:24:38 EDT 2007

    Had single Eared Grebe (breeding plumage) with two C. Loons and two
RNGrebes at Cascade River State Park Wayside on 8/4/07. Also had 5 (probably) Black
Scoters off of the rock island at Good Harbor Bay on 8/4 ("probaby" because
they were far enough out that I could not see facial markings and could not see
any white on their wings as they flipped their wings diving and stretched
their wings while preening-I also could not see white gular patch on Cormorants
at about the same distance-but they were definitely Scoters). Seems early.
    Two Black-Backed Woodpeckers were drumming (male) and foraging (both male
and female) on burnt (White?) Spruce just .2 miles east from Cook 81 on the
Gunflint Trail (near the end of the trail), also on Saturday 8/4. Saw waves of
warblers also. Had a Gray Jay on Sag Lake Trail and later in the PM had
White-Winged Crossbills on a flyover on the north side of Oberg Mtn.
    Monday 8/6/07 had a N. Goshawk (adult) sitting on a snag along the
Sawbill Trail approximately 3 or so miles north of 6 mile creek about 6:30 AM. Had
one Horned Grebe (VERY WORN breeding plumage) at Five Mile Rock and two more
off of Cobblestone Cabins a few miles north of Tofte later that AM.

Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>