[mou] Sharp-shinned juveniles in training

Bruce W. Stahly bstahly at boreal.org
Sun Aug 5 09:13:36 EDT 2007

The young Sharp-shinned Hawks from the nest near my house (west of Grand
Marais) have fledged, and are spending a lot of time away from the nest.
They are very noisy, especially in the morning. Yesterday evening, I
observed an adult returning to the nest area. This set off an explosion
of begging calls from the fledglings (there are at least three, possibly
four, young ones.) In the air, the adult hawk dropped something, and one
of the young caught it in mid-air. I presume this was a training exercise.

Bruce Stahly