[mou] Buff-breasted Sandpipers - Purgatory Creek

Joel Claus jclaus13 at msn.com
Fri Aug 3 00:24:24 EDT 2007

About 8:20 PM this evening I observed 3 Buff-breasted sandpipers at the Purgatory creek wetlands in Eden Prairie.  They were seen from the footbridge and were on the east side of the wetlands.  As Doug Keiser reported, there are now extensive mudflats present and there is alot of habitat to check with shorebirds scattered around all over.  I saw nine species from the area of the bridge in the short time I had before the light went along with a single Black-crowned night heron mixed in with the pelicans, egrets, and blue herons out in the center.  I was able to pick out two distant phalaropes between my vantage point and the blind but had to leave them at phalarope (sp) due to the distance and the fading light - damm!  If you're going to visit, come soon because Purgatory creek will be a very smelly place in a few days due to all the dying carp!  See Doug Keiser's post for directions.

Joel Claus
Eden Prairie