[mou] Clay Co. cranes, cc longspurs, godwits

patrick.beauzay at ndsu.edu patrick.beauzay at ndsu.edu
Sun Apr 15 19:02:35 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I counted 412 Sandhill Cranes at Bluestem Prairie SNA this morning. They
were using a hay field about 0.5 mile west of the junction of CR23 and
17th. This is just northwest of the landfill. Also had 46 Tundra Swans fly
overhead. Many Canada Geese moving north.

At Rothsay WMA (Wilkin County), I counted six Greater Prairie-Chicken leks
but couldn't get accurate counts from the road. Also 6 Marbled Godwits, a
male/female Northern Harrier pair, several Red-tailed Hawks, Western
Meadowlarks, Red-winged Blackbirds.

At Felton, I found 4 Chestnut-collared Longspurs, 4 Marbled Godwits, many
W. Meadowlarks and RW Blackbirds, and about 30 Rusty Blackbirds (FOY).
Also found 5 Red-necked Grebes in the big WPA west of the CR26/CR27
junction.

Good Birding!

Pat

Patrick Beauzay