[mou] Glacial Ridge NWR shorebird blitz

Robert_Russell@fws.gov Robert_Russell@fws.gov
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:39:46 -0500

--0__=09BBF82ADFC6493E8f9e8a93df938690918c09BBF82ADFC6493E

The Rydell/Glacial Ridge NWR is once again seeking bird enthusiasts to =
help
with a "Shorebird Blitz" (survey of marbled godwits, upland sandpipers,=
 and
Wilson's phalaropes) on Glacial Ridge NWR and Nature Conservancy land.
Last year, with the help of about 16 FWS, The Nature Conservancy and
University staff, and 4 volunteers, we completed 83 miles of survey
transects in one day.  We hope to repeat this success again this year.
Here are the details:

When: May 9th, 7:00 am  (May 10 will be a rain day alternative, however=
,
these dates may change depending on the weather and the birds)
Where:  TNC Glacial Ridge Project Office (located along State Hwy 32 in=

Polk County, MN - about 3 miles south of the intersection with U.S. Hwy=
 2)
Why: All three target species are of national concern due to declining
populations and loss of habitat.  The Glacial Ridge Project, a partners=
hip
of some 30 agencies and organizations, is the largest tallgrass
prairie/wetland restoration ever attempted.  This annual survey will tr=
ack
the response of these birds to restoration efforts.
What to bring:  Appropriate dress and shoes for walking in uneven,
sometimes wet, terrain (knee boots recommended)
                       Binoculars
                                 Compass, if available (we will have so=
me
extras)
                                 GPS, if available
                       Cell phone or radio, if available (we have a few=

extra radios)
                                 Field guides
             Basic knowledge of the three target species (identify by s=
ight
and sound, recordings of calls can be found on the internet or birding
cd's)
             Water
                                 Lunch
             LOTS OF ENTHUSIASM!

Last year surveyors reported approximately 97 marbled godwits in 52
locations, 124 upland sandpipers and 33 Wilson's phalaropes.  Other
interesting critter sightings included a flock of Smith's longspurs, ye=
llow
rails, LeConte's sparrows, sandhill cranes, and a wolf.  Hopefully, the=

burrowing owls will return again and a lucky person will spot them.

What to do now:  If you think you can help us with the survey, please s=
end
an email to me (rebecca_ekstein@fws.gov) and let me know.  This will he=
lp
with the planning effort and we can send emails to interested parties w=
ith
additional details or date changes (and avoid any more mass mailings).
Also, take a look at who received this email and forward to anyone you
think would be interested and I missed.

Hope to see you in May!

Becky Ekstein
Rydell/Glacial Ridge NWR
218-687-2229 ext. 4
fax 218/687-2225
Becky_Ekstein@fws.gov=

--0__=09BBF82ADFC6493E8f9e8a93df938690918c09BBF82ADFC6493E

to help with a &quot;Shorebird Blitz&quot; (survey of marbled godwits, =
upland sandpipers, and Wilson's phalaropes) on Glacial Ridge NWR and Na=
ture Conservancy land.  Last year, with the help of about 16 FWS, The N=
ature Conservancy and University staff, and 4 volunteers, we completed =
83 miles of survey transects in one day.  We hope to repeat this succes=
s again this year.  Here are the details:<br>
<b>When:</b>	May 9th, 7:00 am  (May 10 will be a rain day alternative, =
however, these dates may change depending on the weather and the birds)=
<b>Where:</b>  TNC Glacial Ridge Project Office (located along State Hw=
y 32 in Polk County, MN - about 3 miles south of the intersection with =
U.S. Hwy 2)<br>
<b>Why:</b> All three target species are of national concern due to dec=
lining populations and loss of habitat.  The Glacial Ridge Project, a p=
artnership of some 30 agencies and organizations, is the largest tallgr=
ass prairie/wetland restoration ever attempted.  This annual survey wil=
l track the response of these birds to restoration efforts.<br>
<b>What to bring:</b>  Appropriate dress and shoes for walking in uneve=
n, sometimes wet, terrain (knee boots recommended)<br>
	                 Binoculars<br>
                                 Compass, if available (we will have so=
me extras)<br>
                                 GPS, if available<br>
	                 Cell phone or radio, if available (we have a few extr=
a radios)<br>
                                 Field guides<br>
		 Basic knowledge of the three target species (identify by sight and s=
ound, recordings of calls can be found on the internet or birding cd's)=
		 Water<br>
                                 Lunch<br>
	   	 LOTS OF ENTHUSIASM! <br>
Last year surveyors reported approximately 97 marbled godwits in 52 loc=
ations, 124 upland sandpipers and 33 Wilson's phalaropes.  Other intere=
sting critter sightings included a flock of Smith's longspurs, yellow r=
ails, LeConte's sparrows, sandhill cranes, and a wolf.  Hopefully, the =
burrowing owls will return again and a lucky person will spot them.<br>=

<b>What to do now:</b>  If you think you can help us with the survey, p=
lease send an email to me (rebecca_ekstein@fws.gov) and let me know.  T=
his will help with the planning effort and we can send emails to intere=
sted parties with additional details or date changes (and avoid any mor=
e mass mailings).  Also, take a look at who received this email and for=
ward to anyone you think would be interested and I missed.<br>
Hope to see you in May!<br>
Becky Ekstein<br>
Rydell/Glacial Ridge NWR<br>
218-687-2229 ext. 4<br>
fax 218/687-2225<br>
Becky_Ekstein@fws.gov</body></html>=

--0__=09BBF82ADFC6493E8f9e8a93df938690918c09BBF82ADFC6493E--