[mou] 'spring' in Cook Co.

jotcat jotcat" <jotcat@boreal.org
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 16:57:56 -0500

On the 9 or so inches of snow this morning were more juncos than we have
seen since fall.  In the past week they had been coming in two's or three's,
6 on rainy Saturday, but today it was closer to 60.  I wonder where these
birds were yesterday?  Didn't think the winds were such to bring any
migrants north overnight.

Also seen:  first Fox Sparrow of spring
        2 Common redpolls
        20+ Pine siskins
        4 Am. Goldfinch
        6 Purple finch (had 12 yesterday morning, before snow; first one
seen 4/2)
        2 Am. Tree Sparrow
        1 male Cardinal.  Female who has been here since November has been
here less often lately.  Male showed up last week.
        2 Eur. Starling (had 18 of these one day last week)
        1 Shrike, probably northern, although it zipped off before I got it
in binocs.  Some of the juncos obviously inexperienced with shrikes,
although these are almost all adult male juncos.  3 of them stayed in a
little crabapple tree after all other birds beat it into heavy cover, shrike
perched only 20 ft. away.  The shrike made a desultory swoop in their
direction, but missed them all as they finally flew away.  Later in the day,
I looked out just as all the birds took off, and saw a bird carrying a junco
out of my backyard and behind the garage.  Could be the same shrike, but
hard to tell.  This is the first shrike seen here since last fall.
        3 Gray jay, regulars almost daily for handouts
        1 Com. grackle
        3 Redwinged blackbirds seen Sunday.
        The all-winter tough guys - black-cap. chickadees, lower numbers in
the past week since last month's snow melted, extras off to the north.
Red-breasted nuthatches traveling in pairs, ditto for Downy Woodpeckers,
Hairy Woodpeckers.  No other woodpeckers in yard lately, but saw one
Black-backed Woodpecker along Gitchi-gami bike trail in Tofte recently.
White-breasted nuthatches feed here in winter, nest elsewhere, so they have
gone now.

Carol Tveekrem,
Schroeder